“Behold I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation…”
The Years of Exile
A Biblical Study
PERSIAN KINGS 1) Cyrus - 539-529BC Signed first decree, allowing Jews to return to rebuild; prophets were Ezekiel... 2) Darius I - 521-586BC Found the 1st decree, wrote the 2nd decree for the Jews to continue building; prophets - Haggai, Zachariah 3) Ahasuerus (Xerxes) - 486-464BC The era of Eshter. 4) Artaxerxes 464-424BC Time of Ezra and Nehemiah.
NEXT WEEK… Read Esther 2-3 prior to the study.
1. MAP REVIEW: How vast had the kingdom of the Persians and the Medes become? (vs. 1)
· How many provinces had Daniel governed during the reign of Darius the Mede? Danial 6:1
2. Who did King Ahasuerus invite to his feast? (vs. 3)
3. What were they celebrating? (vs. 4)
· For how long?
4. After this feast, the king made another one. Read its description. (vs. 5-9)
· How long was this feast?
5. At this same time, who was offering a feast for the women? (vs. 9)
6. Why did the king call for the queen on the 7th day? (vs. 11)
7. What happened? (vs. 12)
8. Why was this so wrong? (vs. 15)
9. What were the wise men of the king afraid was going to happen if they didn’t do something about this? (vs. 17)
10. What did they agree the king should do? (vs. 19)
11. What did they wish to accomplish? (vs. 20)
12. Where were the letters sent? (vs. 22)
“The head of every man is the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.” -I Corinthians 11:3 The Years of Exile
A Biblical Study
1. Could you relate to Queen Vashti’s refusal or King Ahasuerus’ wrath? Explain:
2. Was this just Persian tradition to “put away” a wife? (Deuteronomy 24:1-4)
3. When did this change? Matthew 5:31:32
· How does Galatians 3:28 fit in?
4. What is the position of a woman in an “unequally” yoked marriage? (I Peter 3:1)
· What expectations of godly women are made clear in vs. 2-4 ?
· What is the position of a woman in an “equally” yoked marriage? (vs. 5-6)
· What is the position of the godly husband? (vs. 7)
5. What is the role of leadership in a godly marriage? (I Cor. 11:3) Can you accept your role?