A Biblical Study
The Years of Return
TIRSHATHA - (Heb. 8660) the Persian title of the governors of Judah; Nehemiah the governor.
DRAM - (Heb. 1871) a drachma, a coin; meaning “handful.” There was no coined money in Israel until after the Exile. The world conquering Greeks developed the Persian and Babylonian coinage.
BROKEN - (Heb. 7665) to burst, break into pieces, crush; to shiver, shatter.
1. How was the city of Jerusalem described after the walls were rebuilt? (7:4) “The city was __________ and ___________ but the people were _________ therein, and the __________ were not builded.”
2. What did God put in Nehemiah’s heart to do? (7:5)
3. How many people were counted in the congregation? (7:66)
4. What did the people ask Ezra to do? (8:1)
5. Who listened? (8:2) “...both _______ and __________, and all that could hear with __________________...”
6. For how long did they listen? (8:3)
7. As Ezra opened up the book and blessed the Lord, what was the response of the people? (8:6)
8. What was the result? (8:7)
9. What was the reaction of the people? (8:9)
10. What was Nehemiah’s comfort? (8:10) “The _____ of the Lord is your __________.”
11. Why did the Levites encourage the people to make this a time of great rejoicing? (8:12)
12. How long had it been since Israel dwelt in booths as a feast of the 7th month? (8:17)
I. REFLECT: Why does the word of the Lord stir emotion in the hearts of God’s people? How many times has a hymn or a verse struck you to tears? Why is this?
· Consider the remnant of Judah: broken, taken into captivity, allowed to return... Why did they have to become broken? Whom do they spiritually represent?
· How is the heart broken? Proverbs 15:13
· Why must a child of God become “broken” before him?
Psalm 51:8, 12, 17
II. CONSIDER: What is amazing about the “causing” of the people to understand God’s Word? What was the result?
· Of what else do we need to be reminded? Jeremiah 16:21
· What do we depend on the Lord to “cause” in our lives? Psalm 143:8,10
III. DIG DEEPER: A person cannot understand God’s Word unless God causes it to happen, so there has to be a doctrine of election. Why do people have a warped concept about this doctrine? Why is it actually a beautiful doctrine?
“ The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.”
· Pray that God will cause understanding as we read His Word.
· Pray we may weep at our sins and rejoice in God’s salvation.
NEXT WEEK… Read Nehemiah 9-10 for the study.